Monday, October 31, 2011

Live auction treasures

I love going to auctions. Especially when there are sports cards in the listing !

The problem is, some people don't really have a clue as to what the items they are bidding on, are really worth. This auction was an exception. The sport cards were mostly commons from the late 80's to the early/mid 90's, but there were a lot of up scale brand names from the era such as Pinnacle, Pacific, SP and Metal Universe. It wasn't all Topps, Donruss and Fleer.


These were actually the last items I purchased. Mostly because they were the last of the baseball items sold.

First, Andy (the auctioneer) tried to sell just the two Thome batting helmets, to no avail. No takers, not even for a buck. Then he added the t-shirts. I had seen them and they were my size and brand new. Appeared to have never been worn. There was one other bidder now but I won the lot for $2 or $3. Now you can't buy two shirts for that! Especially a 1995 World Series one.

The books came in the very last box lot. The " Who's Who in Baseball " is from 1972.



Now, here's the real deal stuff I came home with.

Yes, Viginia, that is a 1966 Topps Carl Yastrzemski on the front row. I didn't even know it was there until I got home. Actually, my son found it as he was leafing through one of the bnders. Appearently no one else saw it either. I think I paid $12.50 for the whole binder. High book for the Yaz card is $30, which is about half of what I paid for everything in both photos. The Yaz is a little off-center but it's not too bad.

As you can see there is a wide assortment of items. Two Mickey Mantle baseballs, Cal Ripken and Jackie Robinson also.

Two 1996 Pacific Nolan Ryan Advil "Career Retrospective" sets. One still sealed.

There are a lot of inserts and subsets along with a lot of 1990 Donruss and 1991 Fleer !

The two albums have a total of about 80 Ultra Pro pages, many with cards doubled up. I haven't gone through them real close yet. Don't know what else I might find!

Three 1997 Pinnacle Cans, still sealed. Nomo, Bagwell and Cal Ripken Jr !

There are a couple Barry Larkins in case anyone is interested. Ahem, Fan of Reds ??

The bobble head is Cincinnati Reds, Joe Nuxhall .

Also, somewhere down in front is our old friend, Bip Roberts !!



You can click on the pictures to get a better look and if you see anything you might be interested in, let me know. I'll tell you if it is available.
Mantle balls..... no !
Ripken ball ... no !
Robinson ball ...no !

As I get it sorted I'll have some future posts.

Good night for now !

5 comments:

  1. Nice hall!! I miss going to live auctions I use to pick up all sorts of great stuff and you're so right about people not knowing the value of what there bidding on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty great deal for just the pages and binder. Nice pick-ups.

    ReplyDelete