Saturday, February 27, 2010

Who's on first?

No, this is not going to be an Abbot and Costello post. More like an Acta and Shapiro post.

They say Russell Branyan will be our starting 1st baseman. I don't really have a major problem with that, but I don't see how they can be so sure at this point. You have to go into spring training with a plan in mind,but not knowing for sure how anyone is going to perform, it seems hard to make a done deal announcement like that. Maybe that was just part of an act to get Branyan. He did want to be assured a spot in the starting line-up, so tell him what he wants to hear. There are so many people who can play so many positions, which is good for giving a regular player a rest once in a while or in case of an injury there's someone to take over, but I would think you need to look at everyone in spring training to get a feel for who is going to be able to do the best job at each position. They get La Porta all set to play first and now it's like they pulled the rug right out from under his spikes. I realize he is still recovering from surgery but give the guy a chance! I made it clear several months ago I was not thrilled with the choice of our new manager. I also said that, in spite of that, I would stand behind him and the team and not condemn anyone for any changes. I will still do that. I truly hope their plans work because I want to see a winning team in Cleveland again. Besides the Cavaliers. Go Cavs !! (I'll root for them too,I'm just not into b-ball too much). I'm just waiting to see how things pan out toward the end of spring training and who's playing the best at that time. And then see what the projected starting line-up looks like.





Matt LaPorta.

If he is fully recovered and capable of playing at the big league level on opening day I think he should be in Cleveland. We won't know for a few weeks so why not have an open mind about it? From what I've read it sounds like they already have him in Columbus!



Travis Hafner
This guy has got to get healthy again ! We need him to get back to the menacing figure at the plate that he was a couple years ago. Any line-up needs a hitter that makes the opposing pitcher get weak kneed when they see him approach the plate. If he can't be that hitter, they need to reconsider all the possibilities available.


Trevor Crowe and Michael Brantley
They just need to concentrate on their game, watch, listen and learn. They both show a great potential for the future of this team.We need to see what they can do this spring and hopefully work them into the line-up.

So, I will be watching spring training like everyone else and hoping that Mark and Manny will make the right decisions based on the performances of each player. Manny, please surprise me and don't don't be a wishy-washy manager. Stand firm with the players and don't be afraid to play small ball. Let's get back to some real baseball !!







1 comment: